Wednesday 27 February 2013

A short Intro to a story unfinished...


A Tale of Two Faces

“He’s a strange one. Started coming in here about a month ago. Don’t know much ‘bout him, don’t really care. He comes in, sits in that seat over there,” the burly landlord pointed to the corner of the room where there was a shady-looking, middle-aged man sitting and smoking a pipe, uttering silent words, “smoking his pipe and drinking ‘til the cows come home. He doesn’t talk much neither; don’t get me wrong, he ain’t rude or nothing. Jus’ doesn’t talk. Wait a second, there was one time that he spoke – nah, ‘spose it don’t matter”. The landlord paused, gave a quick glance over to the mystery man, leaned in closer and lowered his voice to a whisper. “’Bout a week ago there was another man that came in – ne’er seen him before – walked over to…” he nodded over to the mystery man “and handed him a piece of important-looking paper. The guy walked straight back out, gave me a smile and left. ‘Bout a minute later, ol’ puffy over there stood up, asked me to watch his ale and walked out the door. Looked like he was fixin’ t’do a bad thing. He came back for his ale alright, came back with a menacing grin on his face - scared the hell outta me. You ask Roger over there, he was here the whole time”.  

***

“You come about him? I was wondering how long it would take you people to get here. I haven’t anything to say to you and my glass is nearly empty”. The well-spoken, middle-class Roger grinned with triumph at his attempt at playful bribery. It worked. Roger laughed, “Atta boy, the finest sherry money can buy…” he fell into a whisper “well, the finest Mr Landlord over there will ever buy in. I’ll get straight to it, shall I? It was early afternoon, last Tuesday – I’d just come back from The Hunt and popped in for a sherry. Our friend over there was sitting in his usual seat over by the fire and looking into the room with those beady, calculating eyes of his. Those eyes always sends a chill right through me”. Roger shuddered, and then continued in a very matter-of-fact way. “Yes, there he was, smoking his pipe, drinking his ale and muttering to himself, as usual. All of a sudden a stranger burst in. We don’t see many people we don’t know come through here, you see – except you know who.” Roger moved his eyes in the direction of our ‘friend’. “I can’t remember the last time we had anyone new come through here… oh, listen to me waffling on like an old goat. Anyway, this stranger burst in and handed to him a piece of parchment, then walked straight back out. Sure, he was polite enough; he smiled at Martin as he left. It was all just very odd. Then, our friend followed him out and came back looking devilish about ten minutes later.” He shook his head in bewilderment. “Good bye old chap and thank you for the drink,” he exclaimed as he gestured with his glass.

***

“So you’re the man that’s been poking his nose into business that’s not his. It’s nice to finally make your acquaintance, Mr…” he paused, waiting for a name, “not much of a talker, eh? I already know what you’re here for anyway, I was just trying to be nice,” he grinned like a tiger trying to lure his prey into his cage. He took a huge guzzle of his ale and let out a small burp. While puffing on his pipe he introduced himself, “the name’s Lance. Lance Gelder. You can call me sir.”

Then he smiled and almost looked like a different man. “I moved into the area about a month ago; I spend most of my time in here, minding my own business, drinking ale and smoking on my pipe.” He paused, took a deep breath and scratched his greying beard. “I can tell by the look on your face that you want to know my involvement with the dead man they found last Friday. Very well, it greaves me to say that he was my brother. Well, my step brother. He was the man that Martin and Roger saw come in here last Tuesday” He re-lit his pipe and chugged away on it before continuing. “Our… my mother recently died and left us a respectably wealthy estate. Split everything – half and half. The woman was rich, and I don’t mean sherry-drinking-Roger-rich,” he chuckled, “I mean so rich she could’ve bought a factory. Unfortunately, my brother became greedy and deceitful and had the will changed so that everything went to him. Don’t ask how because I don’t know. I didn’t particularly care for him at the best of times but I didn’t want him dead. He’s the only family I had left.”

Unexpectedly, Lance’s face changed, becoming cold and manipulative. Then he started to laugh with scornful malice. The tone of his voice was now tainted with venom. “He deserved it. He deserved everything he had coming to him. He tried to weasel his way into our family, MY FAMILY!” Lance found his feet in a fit of rage, causing Martin to drop a glass in horror then the pub fell silent. Lance was suddenly calm again, all signs of aggression dormant. He sat back down and straightened out his jacket. “Oh, how did that get there?” confused, he picked up his pipe from the floor where it had fallen during his rage. He coolly concluded, “I don’t know who killed him but he’s still my brother and I want to know who’s responsible for his murder.”

No comments:

Post a Comment